Winter Camp, Granddaughters

















WINTER CAMPING IN THE MOTHERSHIP AT MISSION RIDGE
WITH TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS AND KEATS' LETTERS TO FANNY BRAWNE

            for Sammie and Dheezus

My love to you is 'true as truth's simplicity and simpler
than the infancy of truth.'
            John Keats

Grandpa, I went Number 2 and I left skid marks.
            Samantha, 11

Finishing Keats' Letters this morning
before and after breakfast,
working in the notebook, after
wiping down the commode,
I tell Dheezus about Keats,--
She says, Are you saying
I'm dramatic? half-smiling,
turning her head. I'm saying dramatic
is a wonderful thing. But I've lost her.
She has moved on. Sammie says,
I had to sleep over in that ditch
because Dee kept kicking me.
That's poetry, I say. Oh,
I suppose I can say,
I left skid marks on the toilet.
She would say, That's not appropriate.
You're on detention, and a note
will be sent home to your parents.
You tell her your parents aren't home,
to call Grandpa.
I'll tell her what she can put
in her letter, and I'll repeat
what you say: Ditch. Skid marks.
Sammie. Dheezus.
Words of the month.
Words from our mouths.

Jim Bodeen
22 January 2019



           

No comments:

Post a Comment