FLAT LIGHT PSALM CROSS ON SKIS


EARLY MORNING SNOW CROSS TO HIGH CAMP

You have granted me this brief existence,
which is almost nothing in your sight.
            Psalm 39

Muy breve es la vida que me has dado;
ante ti, mis años no son nada.
            Salmo 39

You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you.
            Psalm 39

Skiing into fog's white light
fall line disappears, vertigo's
dizziness tips balance, skis
turning into mountain
as the body falls gravity-led.
I don't know, Lord,
am I remembering or forgetting--
stateless, without being.
Out of breath in beauty.

Back on skis, time returning,
towards High Camp,
backpack carrying your word
with coffee, oranges
and promised sunshine,
I recall another poem from an earlier time.
Up top the Mountain's out
above tree line. Glasses pocketed,
one lens fallen from frame.
I see some of what you've given me,
this day's un-rationed range,
Cascades gleaming behind Hogback.
Sitting on blond mahogany bench
matching  finished pine boards,
a table built to hold what we bring.
So much silence presents itself.
Me, a one-eyed man.
How will I listen to even a portion
of the music you provide me?

Jim Bodeen
13 January 2019









No comments:

Post a Comment