Standing with the Snowman


















FALLING BACK INTO HUMAN SHAPE

Quarter red delicious apple
for lips on Sammie's snow man
while remembering the three-colored
protest sign, In Our Family Love Matters.

Calendar jumping with Jim Harrison
these small gods explode
after the fourth poem,
and I'm forced to take a break.

My country is also taking some time off.
Temperature in the homeless tent
last night, despite those two heaters
did not move from 32 degrees

during dinner. The award-winning
Mexican restaurant came through
with tamales if our group picked up tab
for the rice and beans. Lucky

for me, I had brought clothes
including the black Eddie Bauer
down vest just back from cleaners--
settling with my anger long enough

to arm up prayer shields during meal.
This vest will fit you better than your Dad
I say to the red-head ten-year old boy,
and those Dockers will look good on papa.

Nothing for the Mexican woman
or two smaller children.  These pants
will go right into the washer
and come out like they're just ironed

I tell the woman. Get those kids up
for school in the morning, OK.
Time was running out on all medicine
people coming back for rice and beans,

We'll leave these tamales for snacks
and breakfast. I had the hand-copied
Harrison poem in my pocket where
he uses astonished twice in a poem

he calls simply, Tomorrow,
mirrors everywhere in music
I've turned to for depression.
Earth has agreed to sleep with us

for the time being, Harrison says.
That part put me over the edge.
Sammie and I had two grown-up
talks, before and after

I place that protest sign
next to her snow man.
Read the sign, Sam. If you say so
I have to take it down.

Jim Bodeen
15 January 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment