What's the snow report?


NEWS

This morning I read an obituary
of a woman who skied off Mt. Adams,
Pahtoo, Old One Standing There,
she was Queen of the Rodeo,
Stanford, and a language teacher
where I worked thirty years.
She taught Spanish and English,
skied until she was 85. Last night
In bed I reached for a book of poems
by Jim Harrison, Dead Man's Float,
poems about getting old that give you
tooth ache drinking a Coke.
I get mad at myself and can't sleep.
I see where I wrote the day I got the book.

This morning while Karen
reads the paper drinking coffee,
I'm reading his poems.
Harrison's all these different ages.
He's 74 and can't believe it.
He's 7 wondering who he was.
His poems on the bedstead gathering dust,
poems full of Lorca and Machado.
It pisses me off. Forgetting like this.
I paid a taxi in Granada
to take me where they murdered Lorca.
When I find Americans who don't know
his essay on Duende I buy it for them,
that sweet New Directions copy
with poems and Cante Jondo.
What have I done for Harrison?
That woman who skied
off Pahtoo, she climbed Mt. Rainier twice.
She's out of my league. I'm 73,
writing in a notebook.
Her accomplishments make me think
of my failures. She marched with MLK.
I never knew her, never heard her name.
Dark sounds, Lorca, Dark. Dark.

Jim Bodeen
16 November 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment