GITANJALI, Song Offerings




















SONG OFFERING FROM THE BUTTERSCOTCH CHAIR

            I have no desire at all
            except to sit at your feet


When you sang into my telephone, Gobinda,
from the corner of the bookstore, this couplet
from Tagore's great hymn, I was certain
you had told my life story with the beloved
with the signature of science and boatloads
of empirical evidence. Rabindranath Tagore's
Gitanjali from your hands to mine. Here
anniversary day, ours, Me,
with the beloved in the body. 50 years.
I remember you telling Kirsten,
I attended my first American wedding
when your parents were married.
This, our situation here.  Married
and blessed in that other year,
 of love and violence, 1968.

Gracious Scientist, least religious man
in the Mayo Clinic, but among the holy ones.
After your father leaves your mother                              
and you start the school of hope.
What else? Splitting assignments
you take one half, she takes the other half.
Bengali, science and math. My Mom. Wow.
Binapani Sarkar, Goddess of learning.
I am the least religious man in the world--
with a passion and determination.
Beliefs can do a lot of things.
Gobinda means God you say.

We talk about the Bodhi Tree
and the dog in pain. Why we suffer.
Empty stomachs and big laughs.
I'll buy the food and you keep talking.
I don't have any religion.
I have a pure free mind.
I am a free man.
You give up the big laugh.

Calcutta your birth place.
India, Bengal, and Bangladesh.
Tussles between Hinduism and Buddhism.
I am Hindu.
British and Indian Independence.
Your long road through Canada
to science and laughter through hope.

You pass your gift to the Bengali people
to me through the depth of your laughter
and books. I carry your copy of
Tagore's Gitanjali from bedroom
to the garden, surrounded by song.
Offerings to the Beloved. What
I try for each day, one song at daybreak.
Read and discover. Tighten one line
into five syllables of music
written into my notebook. Carried
into the day with the task
of music and listening. To harvest
17 syllables, one haiku of praise.
Three lines of obedience. In prayer
for the one who loved me
before I could see or sing.
Before I was present to love.

Gobinda Sarkar. Doctor. Scientist.
Least religious man as you claim.
Gift of the Mayo Clinic.
From Calcutta to Rochester.
Man who opens the famous clinic
with laughter and song.
Most present to the Beloved
and long marriage on this Yakama day
where we give offering in song.

Love from Jim 
3 November 2018




















#1 So Many Distances

Another way home
Never quite arriving
Wind gone into the Dakotas

Jim Bodeen
25 October 2018


#3 Sky to Sky Music

Your voice comes ringing
Two hands singing four hand bells
Bells in your hands delight

2 November 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment