Cowiche Canyon Sunshine




















AN INDICATION OF WHAT
THIS MAY ALL BE ABOUT

Burl's Barber Shop before
Cowiche Canyon
hash browns, eggs,
Every day on me,

Wolf's Den Wapato.
Hoagie Roll
with peanut butter
apricot jam in pack,

backed by black bean
burrito and sunshine.
Walking frozen grass
morning image-jammed

feet melting it all down,
winter-frost prints
Hinoki Cypress coffee-
ground fed, what Yeats said.

















*

Young people at trail head
motor running in car
while I open hatchback
put on boots, they're

making love just before
lunch time, song from
my car, Cowboy Junkies
Notes Falling Slow

*

Zip parka in sun on rock
Sandwich with John Haines'
early Alaska poems,
Green Man that one

baptized Jesus, Look at him
way he's dressed, put him
under in that icy water
nesting birds watching in trees.

Take out an apple
and notebook, looking up
and down from outcropping
one aluminum can

I missed last week. Voices
coming up trail, I ask
Can you pick up that can,
drop it on rock by trail--

thanks, I'll get it.
Because I'm talking too
I don't tell them
this is a No Talk Zone.
















*

Creekside Trail beyond
By-Pass Bridge 11, What's this?
Judy, 83, walked in from Fred Meyers
asking about trail. We walk

a ways. Hiking alone.
Like I am, caution sign.
Black hat, black slacks,
fanny pack, running shoes,

binoculars. Most of my friends
are dead or in old folks homes,
I was in a hiking club
in nature conservancy. She

goes to first outcropping.
We stop and look. This
is as far as you can go,
I say. I'm glad you have

that one trekking pole.
Two are required from this point.
I'll wait here, until you get
to trail head. Give me a shout out.

*

Sun below South Side
Canyon, cold stops ink running
in notebook. Haines also
cold, closed; a caution,

Be careful, getting up.
It's dangerous, this outcropping,
sitting here, afternoon
this long, mid-November

sunshine. You don't know
how stone-dizzy you really are.
You tell yourself, standing,
You're only 30 minutes

from your car. Take that as sign.

Jim Bodeen
19-24 November 2018


















No comments:

Post a Comment