Epithalamion


GOLDEN JUBILEE

            for Karen

Working my way towards you
in our full time, in bed
before sleep, the one
whose sun rise confirms
50 years together
(54 years of knowing),
you watching tv
in the living room,
crossing time, across
time, not automatic
or even earned--beyond luck
grace acknowledged,
comic and worse
in my failures, but never
without desire for you,
your presence and quiet vision.

I had to grow into it
You sat it out until I did
Four years
Two years plus months of separation
Two years of letters

I'm still pissed off at the photographer
the way he missed desire
choreographing his American lie,
who made those men chosen to witness
what we were publicly saying, Yes,
how he framed me,
wrong, wrong, no. Not this.
What did I know of ceremony? Marriage?
Beyond what must be turned towards, walking?

A boy from North Dakota,
returned from Southeast Asia,
feeling catalog pages for clothes,
that awkward, that too, witnessed.

That photographer who choreographed
all that arrived exhausted from the 1950s,
requiring me to be picked up and carried
against my will, to the altar, when

I couldn't, had only one word to say,
Yes, (waiting too for yours),
even fearful, a kind of surfacing terror
in me, to say, shout, Yes,
all manner of yes, to be united
in public word. To make a love story
one could believe in.

                        When does marriage begin?
For me, years before I would know you,
timeless time without knowing
how to be your husband,
magnificent Christ-star vision,
years before your ring would show me
it can't be done alone.
Premonitions of knowing
even as the shutter, obedient
before the photographer's finger,
recorded what we would be up against,
stepping out in love, minutes
before you would appear
disturbing, shaking, unshackling me.

Jim Bodeen
November, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment