A Blessing from High Forest Rest Stop



Annnie Wright, Janes Wright's 'A Blessing' came to the Rest Stop outside Rochester, and how Kirsten Schowalter got there. A beginning narrative. 





LETTER TO ANNIE WRIGHT FROM YAKIMA
AFTER A LIBRARY CONVERSATION IN MARTINS FERRY
WHILE REMEMBERING A SNOW STORM IN MINNEAPOLIS
AND FINALLY, WONDER OF WONDERS,
FINDING A REST STOP JUST OFF THE HIGHWAY IN ROCHESTER

Dear Annie, By now you've most likely heard from Kirsten
in her own skin and seen pictures too. I'll try and sound like myself
and not confuse you with word costumes at Halloween.
Do I sound like him? Or do I sound like the other guy.
Both men quick with tears, as am I. Thank God
for them, Dick and Jim both.  At the end of the day,
beginning this sentence, I remember throwing
jackknives in Jerry Grouer's front yard
with neighborhood boys trying to stick
the knife in the grass and not into someone's
outstretched toes. Manufacturing spots of time
before we knew Wordsworth--but we knew
more than dandelions even then, all those
daffodils in prairie gardens of our aunts.

Your generosity, Anne Wright, lifts Kirsten's
story into another of the sacred circles,
hyphenating and spirit-filling them with blessings.
Feel this in Kirsten's shout! The snowstorm
cancelling in her earlier trip home, makes you
one of her guides, showing her how poets
reclaim what has been lost in love's pursuit.
Isn't this what you gave Jonathan Blunk
authorizing the biography. He says
your marriage brings more sunlight
into the poems and sobriety. 
No clear glimpse of the poet without Annie.
I felt the two of you like that in Martin's Ferry.
Empathy of the poet. Negative capability of Keats.
How you hang on to your being.
How you share it with Kirsten. With me.

The woman in front of my eyes suspects
I'm only trying for what's clever, something
someone might remember, and most of the time
she's right. When she's not, she's closer
than I am now. She's a bit like you.
Tomorrow I trade in the baseball cap
for the fish bone wool knit from Yoruk Nation
I picked up a few years ago looking for stones
on the Klamath River. Trick or treaters
come tonight and we have Milky Ways
to keep kids safe walking streets.
The doorbell rings. How does someone
as poor as me respond to ponies?

Jim Bodeen
5 November 2018



















Anne Wright's presentation at James Wright Festival, April, 2018, Martins Ferry, Ohio:


No comments:

Post a Comment