Ways of Remembering Soldiers--Two Poems


MEMORIAL DAY, EARLY MORNING


Song then, and song's sadness,
remembering soldiers. This day.
Remembering what it is to be 20
years old, and in uniform.
Uniform, and trying to get to that,
only that--before the interruptions begin
arriving. But I am out of town,
away from the garden. Outside.
This day peonies open.
This day China Snow's grand
lilac-like cousin-blossoms,
perfumes the yard, each breeze
holding, redolent circling infusion
kept close by surrounding sanctuary
of fence. Secure defence combatting
malodorant munition patriots.
Out of town, away.
My uniform hangs in a closet.
Bark on China Snow peels gold in sunshine,
crinkling like papyrus, rolling up like dollar bills.

Jim Bodeen
27-28 May 2019



CEREMONIAL COMPOSURE

            --for Olivier Knox

Work just about done for the day,
using up scented blossoms of China Snow
sweeping through the garden, energized
by the arrival of redolent, shielding me
from maloderant, first appearing
in 1825.  Blossoms offering protection
through the afternoon, while I catch up
from Memorial Day. I wanted to send you
this image of how you're going into my mail,
to only friends, all poets, a couple
of photographers. Oh, and my jeweler,
Marty, the Shield Maker. I'm a vet.
85th Evac Hospital. Qui Nhon.
67-68. We took those casualties.
Did some good time teaching
high school journalism. All best.

Jim
28 May 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment