Cherries for Robert Sund


















CHERRIES FOR ROBERT SUND

            --for Michael, Bob, Bo, Rick, Tim

Early Robins and Tietons.
Early Robins are savor-blasts promising Rainiers in days--
kissing cousins, and the Tieton is first two-bite cherry.
I took out freeze-dried to fit them into the bear cannister
for this hike up your river. The pit in my mouth
is for remembrance. I bring them from Johnson's Orchards,
you might have eaten their apples, but not these cherries.
100+ years of Scandinavian roots. Where I pick,
bringing these for you, through friends at Shi Shi
who come here each year to sit with you,
hear you laugh with head thrown back on that boxcar.

I'm here at my own invitation.
Yesterday, over coffee, Barry says,
If I would have had Bunch Grass 20 years
earlier, it would have speeded up the process.
Barry keeps River House on the Yakima.
We both keep 12 x 12 shacks. I'm bringing
news with these cherries. Why I invited myself.
Your dry land farming poems. I was a boy
among dry land farmers in North Dakota.
My dad ran Farmer's Union grain elevator,
taught me to chew wheat into gum,
slide in flax-filled boxcars. Grew up
waking to train whistles. My people
were part of threshing crews
before combines went corporate.
A shirt-tail relative bought out
everybody and died of a heart attack.
Before he dies he tells a Mexican
knocking on his door, I'm supposed
to hire you at 15 dollars an hour
to run a half-million dollar machine?
Showing me his equipment barn
I turn and ask, What's that?
That? he says. That's a tractor.

Here's news from Yakima. Last week
five people are gunned down in White Swan
at the end of Medicine Lake Road on the Reservation.
All suspects in custody. Here's another
White Swan story: One of my Mexican
God-children, studying at the UW gets married
last week. Young Yakama woman
comes up to him at picnic table, laughing.
How do you know Francisco?
We box together for UDub.
I'm from White Swan, a senior,
graduating next week in physics.
Cisco Kid is my buddy.
Missing indigenous women
finally get some attention.
Susan Libby Marable, home-made star tattoo
on web of left hand between thumb
and fore-finger, went missing in '91.
After her rapist is sentenced last week,
her family asks, Where's Susan?
Where are the others?
Department of Natural Resources declares
High Fire Danger in the County.
We used to say, backpacking,
We always have fires.
This is my fire report.

A couple of things about your poems.
Home, for Tim McNulty. Prayer. World.
As is. River voice wild. Stone-inscripted.
Great ones divining the invitation.
The divine might be among us
but the design comes from human meditation.
Down on Earth. Where we are
in a small town. Unguarded.
How difficult that is,
Song-of-nothing-held-back.
I'm in garden space, myself, Robert Sund,
on my way to yours. Michael connecting us
through railroad song, hobo jungle jingle,
another Bo, looking forward to hugging Finn,
meeting Bob, passing around cherries
and wild river stamps. Oh, and Jody.
Don't know if you knew her,
She's true north, from your parts.


Jim
2010 House
One week before Summer Solstice, 2019

















Reading and Listening to Robert Sund in the Cascade Mountains




"The Dreaming I do is beyond me." Robert Sund

No comments:

Post a Comment