June Berries and the Quilt


WE'LL SEE

Karen returns from walking
the neighborhood. Our modest development
with its yard sale. It's Saturday.
I'm picking June berries, asking robins
for just enough berries to put on a bowl
of vanilla ice cream tonight. Karen
says her niece has several
hand-made baby quilts for sale.
We used to pick June Berries
in North Dakota. Tasker's Coulee.
I never knew who Tasker was.
That's how I know about coulees.
Us kids, we ran up and down
animal trails. Our mom's carried
kettles from the kitchen picking berries.
Did you see your quilt on the lawn?
No, but I didn't look that closely.
Well, she's the one in our family
who knows how to clean house.
That's why you sew that story block
on the back. June Berries grew wild
in Dakotas and Canada.
Mandan, Hidatsa, Arikara,
Three Federated Tribes prized
theses berries. Trees sold now
in upscale nurseries for white blossoms,
reading Serviceberry. Two things
going on here, as I see it.
Those nurseries selling trees
not knowing their histories--
June berry's sweeter than blueberry--
and my niece with those quilts
on her sale rack. I have a ball game
to get to. My grandson plays at noon.
I don't have enough berries in this bowl.
Not for a single scoop. No clock
in baseball and robins have put out the word.

Jim Bodeen
8 June 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment