Time with the Immortals






















HIGH CAMP

      --Contemplation, too!
            Van Morrison

My old teacher, wondering about Keats,
asks for a hint. He's re-calling Spots of Time
for his daughter. I write from High Camp,
6000 feet in the Cascades, empty midweek,

except for Ski Patrol, kitchen workers.
Keats walks through Scotland, dreaming,
sleeping on benches with dirty blankets,
a sore throat, becoming immortal

in his 1000 days--Shelley's Adonais
raising him, Beautiful Lord. Sun
shines on my notebook, each mountain
a star for mortals--where Keats says,

I live in the eye. Book before me
at lunch: Czeslaw Milosz's Witness of Poetry:
Poetry intensifies what is present but veiled,
pulled from my shelf carried in backpack,

surprise choice chancing rebuke,
perhaps inspiration, on a cloudless day
after 5-day winter storm. Milosz
remembers Jan Kochinowski,

Poland's first great poet, complaining
for Cassandra, Why this torture--
Who when thou lent'st me power of prophecy,
Gav'st to my words no weight! My spirit

friend, Lars, feeds chickens
with world's left-over food!
Snow beauty covers Cassandra
with 500-year old verse--wounds

reaching back to Kochinowski,
forward to food-drunk and sated people
dumpster-stuffing what they can't consume.
Back on skis after soup, I turn

and duck under the boundary rope
into the wild--looking, not into mountains
offering glory, but to sublime
pristine cover of snow silence.

Skis maintain me where I could not
but sink. The old professor cautions,
half-created, half-perceived, Wordsworth
too, out of bounds with the immortals.

Jim Bodeen
8 February 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment