Child-Sheltered Gold Mittens




KETARI, THE SHELTERED CHILD

Beautiful thing!
Dr. Williams riffs
breaking through
young-man-no-mind
recall, one,
Immortal
one of them
Beautiful thing!

Beautiful thing!
going over the Falls
by the old reform school
Beautiful, beautiful thing.

Bashert
kernel of gold
slipped into Ketari’s
mitten last night
at the Shelter
under a foot of new snow

Ketari,
a year-and-a-half
warm-wrapped
Easter-bunny jammies
between
Mom and Grandma
seated on folded
bench table

Bashert from Zev

A silver dollar
slipped in
with new mittens
yarn from all colors
of the rainbow
shining
light
into old canvas Army tent
a single string
of lights
illuminating
chile and cornbread
after new snowfall
15 record inches
and cold hard love

Hard gold to love
Dr. Williams wrote
a mother’s milk

Beautiful thing!
Hard gold to love

So beautiful
this finding
this Zev-poem
this bashert
one’s destiny
and soulmate
this man walking
incognito
with a satchel
full of poems

I knew they were there
I did I knew it
I didn’t know
they were there for me
Didn’t know that
until tonight
tucking them
into the child’s
pocket of mittens

at the shelter
new mittens
gold and silver
plated yarn
sparkling

Jim Bodeen
12 February 2019


























JYPSY ROZE AND THE RANGER

Jypsy Roze, Get it, she says, I do outreach at the shelter. Can’t tell you where they’re at. We go out just after dark trying to get them to come in. Last few mornings it’s been 6 degrees. It’s cold, but in the three camps, there are survivalists, and they help others survive. I leave a bag of food
hung on the tree for the Ranger. He is a Ranger. He don’t want to be found. I write him notes.
He’s afraid to come in. He don’t want to be found yet. He writes notes. I write back. Last week he asked me my name. Jypsy Roze. Get it?

Jim Bodeen
12 February 2019





No comments:

Post a Comment