Yo--Dad! Is that you?


AT CHRISTMAS TIME, DAD,

when we sing carols in church,
that one line in the one song
I've been singing nearly all
of my 73 years, O come,
O come, Emmanuel,
plain chant antiphons
antiphons attached to Magnificat
at Vespers, like singing six
notes for four syllables, holding
that word, your name
folded into the middle,
Emmanuel, God Amongst Us,
that has me calling you, remembering
too, the photos, and your passing
from a disappeared town
in rural North Dakota, all that
I've looked for, the country cemetery
with its grasses and mosquitoes,
that strange man, my grandfather
Victor who named you, I
have lived more than half my life
without you. Text from a century
gone, each of five verses opening
a name for Messiah, each day
of the week leading to Christmas.
I shall be with you tomorrow.
Ero cras, from original Latin text,
reverse acrostic, each chant
including an Old Testament--
Hebrew Bible name. Dad,
Father Emmanuel, walking around
in my dreams after all these years,
Tomorrow, then, old man,
tomorrow, yesterday and today.

Jim
24 December 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment