Threads of Thinning Faith



MOUNTAIN MOMENTS OPENING
A DAY AFTER DESCENDING
ON BICYCLE, RIDING
WITH QUESTIONS OF FAITH

My brother, who has taken to filling his days
running errands, stops with three grandchildren
to play me one gospel song that helps
him sleep. He closes his eyes
singing to his departed wife

while I get three boys honey and crackers.
When the doorbell rang
I put down Meng Hao-jan's
Mountain Poems, 689-740 C.E.,
Meng called them My Mountains,

searching for Ch'an Abbot Clarity-Deep,
this line triggering a letter from old friend:
I heard the unborn inner pattern young
and always practiced seeing through self...
continuing the ruggedness of the way. Amen

to that I say to self. Threads of faith,
my friend writes, Thin threads of faith.
Bicycle tires spinning, I'm trying
to remain upright too,
and on this road. How did Jesus

hang on with John the Baptist
in his head? Do you guys know about John?
I ask my nephews. Wild man
who ate wild honey dipped in grasshoppers!
Sit down. I'll get you crackers and honey

right now. Sit at the table. Do you like honey?
All this in the time it takes
to listen to Amazing Grace: Meng Hao-jan,
Jesus, John, my friend, my brother.
Me, those three boys, the inner pattern.

Jim Bodeen
6 December 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment