September Watermelon


A DAY THAT FALLS

flat from first hope-breath
breathes and turns towards
watermelon sliced cold
into shards, sweet running
with spilling wet juice
and yet with flavor flown
first September days
sun-softened not quite
the same sugar as last week
turning into garden
with my shovel digging clay

We drive into orchard garden
through trees Karen stops so I
grab an apple fallen
within a minute cracking open
in my mouth eating pulled pork
sandwich on stale bun mustard
loaded sates me good
Karen driving me to new schools
where grandkids start September
ripe whole goodness graced
making garden cleanup easy
television offerings added on
to all before this, RBG,
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
and I come to bed early
reading easy poems
with never the last word
of Su Tung-p'o, still reading
when Karen comes to bed
reading a biography of Laura Ingalls
How did they stand it Karen asks,
They didn't they ran screaming into fields
both of us remembering what
the Justice said
Just get your feet off our necks

Jim Bodeen
3-11 September 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment