BURTON WATSON AND HIS TEXT IN THE GARDEN


AFTER A WEEK READING BURTON WATSON'S
TRANSLATIONS OF SU TUNG-P'O

Who'll sit and wait with me
The night air chill
What does Heaven do anyway
Careful--don't get too wrapped up in dreams of high office
Wanderings of a lifetime--what do they resemble
The old monk is dead now
Do you recall that day
Peering closer...trying to write the words on my stomach
Missing a word or two, getting eight or nine
I try to date the stones
What will the creator make out of me next
Each time I look at him I'm lost
The lamp's burned out/look at the slanting dipper
The priest grabs their money heads for...
When your poem came it brought back those times again
We grow old but who goes on grumbling about the gods
My home is where the river first bubbles from a fountain
Mountain monks pressed me to stay
Write a poem quick before it gets away
Don't ask who is foolish or wise
This hermit has a special way with hills
The flower is the embarrassed one, topping an old man's head
I only hear a bell beyond the mist
Lately I've developed a taste for the quiet life
Wise men fill the court, why do things get worse
Is it Shao's music make me forget how things should taste
Stilling the mind, no medicine is better than this
I hear no voices but the scuff of shoes
Strike your own evening drum morning bell
Doesn't Lord Heaven see this old farmer weeping
At Twilight Fine Rain Was Still Falling
Cold thoughts--where can I talk them out
The children are silly but you're much worse
What you get's not worth the trouble
Throat parched, thinking only of tea
I wanted to write a verse to your last year's song
The governor's gone mad
An hour of delight among these cliffs
Make sure the mind never clings
Come to think of it, why rush to town
The bell on the pagoda top talks to itself
I may be dropping by at odd hours
Years now I've stolen posts I never should have had

Funny--I never could keep my mouth shut
But here's a stranger, alone, heaven against him
What's ten years when a thousand pass like hail on the wind
Leaning on my stick I listen to river sounds
I long for my loved one in a corner of the sky
I get another cool day in this floating life
The hundred rivers day and night flow on
I like the ringing sound my stick makes when it strikes

10,000 things
100 rivers
84,000 verses
300 tiers of green hills
800 letters
1000 folded hills
7,000 miles, 18 rapids
10,000 pores

I myself am in the mountain
What spot did you observe it from to get this air of unconcern
An exile is like a monk: where is home
Who works these wonders
He himself became bamboo
Little boat with a single oar
Poetry is certainly lost on him
Roads go there, they're not for me
I envy crows that know the way back home
I move my bed dodging leaks on the roof
No time to give even my head a good scratching
Living water needs living fire to boil
Black Muzzle, south sea dog
Such is the light of my mind        

What form gratitude, becoming grateful,
lifted text carried into the garden
with my spade, raising dull rocks
buried in clay from time before beings
like ours wrote poems
Does the text become itself
becoming something else, Burton Watson,
the heavy clay remains heavy clay
the stones a mound, cairns towards somewhere,
the lifting, a liberation, after the long wait,
endless longing and silences

Jim Bodeen
28 August--5 September 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment