TWIN 44s


WHEN TEACHER LOOKS IN THE MIRROR,

             for K. on her birthday

like the one she's made for students
by the sign proclaiming their gifts,
she sees herself this way, too--
Oh my God! I had no idea!

Love, Dad
19 August 2018



GOOD TIME FOR A POEM, L.

New school for you, new school
for your kids. All these new beginnings.
You're wearing red, no riddles,
and it's your birthday.

Love, Dad
19 August 2018



THE DAY AFTER THE BIRTHDAY

The day our daughters were born,
I handed out copies of Dr. Williams'
poem, The Gift, to people
driving by. Hard gold to love,
a mother's milk. That miracle
from my wife. The three wise
men are in that poem, too.
Where have the wise men gone,
you ask. Ones I know
continue loving women,
writing poems. Men I know
know what's going on
and though bewildered, remain.

Jim Bodeen
20 August 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment