WALKING AFTER SHOVELING SNOW

 

WALKING AFTER SHOVELING SNOW


Two and a half miles this morning in the driveway


One set of tire tracks is what I’m looking for

If I’d put on snow shoes neighbors would understand

You could put on skis today!

Ancestral prayers are not timed or tied


My mother is with me this morning

She’s here without a sign

I don’t hear or see a thing

No voices in this snow


On this walk I can’t figure out my own sadness

this edgy-like anger disturbance

while this quiet beautyway

This Blessingway knows


I’ve forgotten how many times I’ve circled this block

where they’ve yet to build houses

My legs are stiff and cold

My jacket and pants are wet

Snow is turning to rain


One day this sadness will not be part of this walk


Ancestors heal one at a time under different conditions


One day my mother will no longer suffer


Jim Bodeen

10 December 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment