THREE CUPS, CREAM AND SUGAR





















THREE CUPS, CREAM AND SUGAR
                for Gilbert Chandler
We watched Old Yakima
transform itself, and turning 80,
you become our premier elder-historian,
and I salute that, thanking you
for two cottonwood walking sticks
carved by you for Karen and I
during Covid-19 social-distancing.
We sit out back looking at the stick,
remembering river banks, walking
with old trees nobody notices.
Roman Numerals: MMXX.
Your knife. When I call and ask,
you say, Whittling on a stick.
We don't hardly have cream any more
but I smile when you say,
Cream and sugar, for coffee.
Thick cream, too, leftover from rhubarb
cobbler. Handing you the jam
we remember our mother's rhubarb
and weep openly. I hand you
Miles' Tribute to Jack Johnson
with two 25-minute songs:
Listen to the drums. 2020.
Black Lives Matter. Keep walking.
Pay attention to Yesternow.

Love, Jim
23 June 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment