ICED TEA SOLIDARITY CEREMONY AT YAKIMA AIRPORT










WE CAN STILL SEE becomes a spontaneous chant by Yakima
Faith Action Network, an interfaith statewide partnership in Washington State. ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) flights come into the city of Yakima each Tuesday. This video was recorded during Thanksgiving week, Tuesday, 26 November 2019.Immigration Response Network (YIRN) as they witness and count asylum seekers and undocumented persons in the deportation process in Washington State. YIRN received the Justice award from Faith Action Network, an interfaith state-wide public policy program in Washington State.

LINES FOR JANE ON SOLACE,

LEFT ON THE PORCH, Guadalupe-like
Guadalupana. Warm-robed woman
of the margins, syllables surfacing
re-surfacing a Dylan soundtrack
lowland lady with the sad eyes
shouldn't I say something to her?
Solace defined is a rich harvest
of comfort and pleasure in the grieving.
When Terry gave me Consolations
a one-word title of on-word histories
I missed these rich roots tapping
into oft-told stories told slant.

Something about the day, Solace.
Something about the day. Rosemary
passed, comforted by her daughter, Rachel.
Remember my magic trick
at Jane & Terry's, breaking chains
binding my two index fingers?
Cy, her husband, was the magician,
and I'll see him tomorrow.
Clay woman, Sculptured Solace,
Rabbit Girl-God,
permission to weep,
permission to laugh.

Late 13th century Old French, solaz,
pleasure, entertainment, enjoyment,
bang!--assuage sounds downright onomatopoetic
after the sexual thread. Let them reconcile?--
we're learning to talk here, first thought,
best thought--earlier in the day--
do your ears get cold--ha, ha,
I've listened to those jokes all my life.
I got old but the jokes kept coming--

earlier in the day, before the ICE flight
arrived from Phoenix, this being Thanksgiving week
(I'm keeping a new notebook on Gratitude and Food,
62 days in) I prepared a Tea Ceremony
for those counting, waving to, affirming,
lives of asylum seekers and undocumented
arriving and departing Yakima in bus and jet.
Our Japanese friend Mayu's teapot
brewing the same green matcha her parents drink
each morning in Yokohama. It was steaming!
18 degrees in our yellow triangle.
I made a movie. Froze my knuckles,
Sister S--froze my knuckles filming
a painted yellow line. When you carry
the camera, good things happen.
I sliced pumpkin bread to complete
a Eucharistic meal, do rabbits, Solace,
like pumpkin? Do you even know
things like that? How earthly you are
remains a question. Those tea leaves,
though, they reached Japan
via Facebook, and Mayu liked seeing
her tea pot, too. The movie
is six minutes long. Did the tea leaves
reach those women in chains?
Last week we were cautioned not to chant
because it might put the deportees
in danger climbing the stairs. Our leader
told the suits, Those leg chains you put
around their ankles put the people at risk.
Do you mind if I curse? Some chicken shit
at the airport had them pull the big
fuel truck painted with the letter N
in red in front of us so we couldn't see!--
creating a chant, We can still see you,
over and over. I blew Michael's whistle
in his absence. Solace-Goddess!
Are you still there? When you see this movie,
stay to the end. Your story connects
to Plum Village--Jane told me so.
We've read Thich Nhat Hanh together,
Jane and I. Karen has the calendar
in the bathroom--Drink your tea!
The woman drinking tea, back turned
to Swift Air, spent three years at Plum Village.
Earline is her name. She says,
This is the way Thich Nhat Hanh drinks tea.
See for yourself, staid comforter, Sister Solace.
Teach us to burrow and be brave.

Jim Bodeen
Happy Thanksgiving
26 November 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment