Window Well in the Carnegie Library


















SITTING IN THE WINDOW WELL
OF THE CARNEGIE LIBRARY IN PITTSBURGH
READING AND WRITING IN MY NOTEBOOK
CANCELLING THE MUSEUM SCHEDULE

I'm going to just sit here
reading Sam Hamill's
Gratitude and Dumb Luck poems.
The librarian said I could take
as many books as I wanted
and sit in those soft leather chairs
and leave them when I finished.
in the museum from here in the stacks.
She walked me up back stairs
to August Wilson's work. She didn't know
she had taken me home. Fool
that I am I didn't know myself.
I knew I'd found gold, doubting
I could sit among people reading
without distractions, surrounded
by treasure.  As she left,
she says, Look out those windows
you can see the dinosaur below
in the history museum.
That's how I got here,
to this window sill, tucked away.
Distractions and dumb luck.

Jim Bodeen
20 April 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment