HIWAY 2 BLUES



















US 2 EAST-WEST

The HiLine
heading for the Dakotas

Hiway 2. The lowest number.
Highway with the lowest number.
Any lower would be zero.

Jim Bodeen
14 October 2014
Sundance Camp


MIDNIGHT EARLY IN THE MOTHERSHIP

Trains whistling all night
on the HiLine, Hiway 2
out of Sand Point
out of Bonner’s Ferry

take the road as it comes
Mark Knoppler sings
be ready for the day
Karen Bodeen says

navigate the song
and slow for Larch Pine

Jim Bodeen
14 October 2015
















HIWAY 2 BLUES

Highway’s yellow lines
take on fall colors
October loneliness

Jim Bodeen
13 October 2015

















ROBERT’S MONOLOGUE
FROM SANDPOINT, IDAHO RV PARK

Good morning, neighbor, nice rig,
my name’s Robert. We were living
on Three Sisters Mountain
but it didn’t work out.
Linda, she’s the manager,

gave us this rent-to-own
but I gotta get us some propane.
What do you say you do?
I’m a poet
I got a little Polack

in me too. This rig’s
all right but needs work
and I can’t haul it
with this Honda
I need a pickup,

it’s got a pop out
I can fix that.
We came up here
from Shit Cali
to look for my Dad

I never seen him.
Shoulda known
I wasn’t going to find
the father of the year
I got a little boy

He’s two.
He’s a little shit.
My grandma bought land
on Three Sisters Mountain
when you didn’t need

an arm and a leg to get it
and my dad’s living on it now
and he didn’t want us there..
I can do anything.
I like my tools

I rebuilt roller coasters
for Six Flags in Valejo, Cali.
I didn’t know anything
from anything when I got here.
Worked with a guy named Grub

could fix anything.
Grub showed me how
to rebuild cranes,
sandblast propane tanks
and paint him. I like fabbin’

that’s building cranes
from steel, VDD,
variable disc drive.
Electrical comes with cranes.
Dry wall’s easy money.

Jim Bodeen
Sand Point, Idaho
13 October 2015





3 comments:

  1. Day #1 ✔️
    I'm following your daily finds along highway 2. So far, 3 Sisters Mt w dad of the year, and whistlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polack? Poet? It's all in the ear. Yours is tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Highway Two: the trees, its people, the p. poet helps them all shine like the larch. Twice the gift, the listening, asking the right questions.

    ReplyDelete