MY WIFE RISING


ON THE FERRY BOAT

Versions of myself
in my brother and sister
Versions of mother

If I trusted more
my notebook I would be
much funnier guy

Jim Bodeen
19 February 2015


BELOVED UNDERFEET

Outlaw father still
Hunted exiled translator
Stumbling God-walk

Jim Bodeen
18 February 2015


WHERE NO ONE PAYS FULL PRICE

On Valentine’s Day I buy
my wife a new hat
to wear to the garden show
and then find another, more

elegant, and buy it too.
Two hats for the price of two hats.
Practicing my stealth, unmasked,
uncovered in the Empire.

Jim Bodeen
10-15 February 2015


SEASONS AND SEASONS OF VALENTINE LOVE

Walking books backwards
reading through glass
leaving everything as it is
the love we had
is the love that is.
Love-slammed 
shafts of light through darkness
come from stars.

Poets and the pressure on words
refusing to bear the weight of flesh.
Not in this condition. Uh-uh.

But words are breath and memory
sustaining love in rootedness and leaf-making,

So many beginnings.

Karen,
the two syllables and five letters of your name
sustain Courie shells from the Dead Sea.
A Viking, no more than an outing.
Home the maid went with hanging keys
and I followed her,
fates cutting the life thread.

We walk out of the house
this morning full of music
museums of quilts
threading every which way.

Jim Bodeen
7-12 February 2015


FIELD NOTES FOR A MAN AT 70

       —for Tom 

So the poet hops on one foot
putting on his shoes.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
This proves his balance?

I’ve always liked him
for his lesser gifts.
For remembering
the widow’s anger,

missing her husband’s
pee stains around the toilet.
And one book title:
Not coming to be barked at.

Admiring his friends.
Wanting his own field guide.
Once, Tom, you turned
a poem into a wheel,

one turn of which
might be a person’s life.
He sold insurance.
You taught school.

Your place might be
quite a bit like his place.
His quite similar to yours.
Gospels of love yet to write.

Jim
29 January 2015


AFTER RISING AT 9 AM
MY WIFE POURS HERSELF A CUP OF COFFEE
AND SAYS,

I woke up several times at 4 am.

Jim Bodeen
27 January 2015


LOOKING AT A CEMENT MIXER
ENTERING THE HOUSE BUILDING SITE
IN EL SALVADOR, MY FRIEND
SNAPS A PICTURE WITH HIS CAMERA

I took a picture of that
because I’ve never seen
one of those on a Habitat build.

Jim Bodeen
17 January 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment