BIRTHDAY LINES FOR THE BELOVED


SOME OF WHAT CAN BE SAID
ON YOUR JANUARY BIRTHDAY,

            KAREN,

We're still in bed when Tim calls
New Year's morning. It's early
before his work on the mountain.
We're in our pajamas
talking about last night,
having our first talk of the year.
Tim says he'll call you tomorrow
on your birthday. Your 75th.
We watch quilters tell stories
with fabric and color
on American Quilters.
Tomorrow, on your birthday,
we'll drive to Seattle, see
Warren, 93, your brother-in-law; and
Aunt Phyllis, 101, a day
with living ancestors. I watch
today as I'll witness tomorrow,
you, Karen, family matriarch,
wife of 51 years. As I write
you carry dishes to the kitchen,
Ahh, your cry, and I know
you've stepped on the ice cube
I didn't pick up. Last night
we fed our daughters, sons-in-law,
and grand children pulled pork
and cracked crab. We have
this day to ourselves, one day
from last year to your birthday.
We practice this catch-up
like we know what it is.
Watching politicians on television
we're drawn to their hair,
talking about comb-overs,
disagreeing even with the same definition.
This is a new year, the Rose Bowl,
and again we're in it.
I've marinated Mexican shrimp
and at half-time I'll put them in a pan
with diced Serrano chiles, we'll sit at table
and swath them in melted butter.
Tonight we'll watch a movie.

I love you to the barber's and back.

Jim
1 January 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment