Children Feeding Birds on Skis

"What a distressing contrast there is between the radiant intelligence of the child, and the feeble mentality of the average adult." Freud


MOUNTAIN PRACTICE WITH DHEEZUS AND SAMMIE

Sunshine and dry powder
disconnects us early. After
missing each other, I head
for High Camp, knowing
you will find me. I pull
my notebook from
backpack and wait.
Bashō stops at Yamadera,
charged spot—he backtracked
seven miles at Obanazawa,
sits on rocks surrounded
by old pines and Oaks.
Over coffee on pine table
I remember the breakfast
you two fixed this morning,
gourmet toast, raspberry jam,
yogurt and juice. Waiting
for you, a lift operator enters,  
tells me you checked in
they know where to go,
what to do. I hang my pack
on a hook by the map
and get back on skis.
You’ve already called
ski patrol, put out
the call to find Grandpa.
You find my pack
on the hook, borrow a phone
and make your call to me.
When I return
the two of you have lunch
almost ready. Sammie’s
under the microwave
re-setting the fuse
heating pizza. Tiny
cups of honey at table
for each of us. After
lunch we head out
for snow
that’s deep and dry,
snow that lifts and carries.

Jim Bodeen
13 March 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment