A Letter in the Mail


A POEM FOR KAREN FROM THE BUTTERSCOTCH CHAIR

            Sailboat in the moonlight
                        Billie Holiday

That's how these lines arrive, Karen,
by slow mail with the dragon stamp.
Did you expect the rabbit
coming from the hat? That one's
for the philatelist grandchild
hopefully, some day, one willing
to fight for it. When you return
from your quilting workshop
I want to see what you've done.
You and Colleen. It's just before noon
in the butterscotch chair, Friday,
and I've gotten rid of leftovers
in the fridge--you've noticed by now,
but make certain you've seen
it's also stocked--green grapes,
strawberry smoothies, sliced ham
for crackers at lunch, and cooked
turkey breast for dinner. Four tiny
(and lean) round steaks you can fry
later in the week. And Tillamook
Old Fashioned Ice Cream.
We had little carrots,
I've counted them, be certain
to eat four every day.
I'm missing you already.
I ladled a cup of chile
before dumping the rest
and took out the garbage. I'm packing,
but I had to work on the poem
for the gift belt made for me
by the maestro from El Salvador.
I've lately discovered it's after
the fashion of John the Baptist's,
and is a girdle for justice.
Es muy peligro, también.
I should have known!

Karen, I love you longer
than our half-century road.
I'm taking some Yakima apples
on the plane for the Minnesotans
to help warm them to Kirsten's book.
Like the belt, it's beautiful, too,
beautiful, and dangerous.
She'll be great inside the pages
and in white water. I'll message you
from Rochester, remembering
James Wright's blessing.
These lines, too urgent, too full
of love for anything but the U.S.P.S.
In ten days, we'll catch up,
get our ballots filled out together
and seriously steady ourselves
for the anniversary celebrating
50 years of marriage. This,
a song offering of a trembling man.

            Further,

Jim
19 October 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment