Where the Music Runs

LOOKING AT SINGERS
IMMORTALIZING OUR TIME
WHILE LISTENING TO THEIR SONGS
WEARING HEADPHONES

Miles turns his back.
Miles says to John,
Take the horn out of your mouth.
Miles gets angry
just thinking about Jack Johnson.

















Merle Haggard's wavy hair
Uncomfortable before praise,
I don't have a clue about
his true feelings for Oklahoma.





My friend saw Johnny
walk out in that black suit,
it hangs here beside him
singing his death song on video.

After I bought my Navajo pipe
with Mountain Smoke in the Canyon
I listened to native flute sounds
for three thousand miles.

Not a Star War fan, I just
walked a different way.
That concert for Bangladesh
shook us up when we were young.


















Did you dance the Stroll
to Fats singing in 1960?
Did it change your life?
Did you end up somewhere else?

Clothes of old rockers
glare like flashing police lights.
Those jazz men in suit and tie
cross into gospel-riffing solos.


















Signed harmonicas
That small picture of Janis.
Jimi asking where you've been
Both twenty-seven.


















We were raised on blues.
We would never go back to others
Even when mirroring them in dress
We would always be found out

Sheet music Ella looked at
with her own eyes, held in her very hands
When I took that photograph
How I listened is how I belonged


















Cante Jondo y Lorca
Camerón de la isla
Lagrimas de gitanos

Who's singing? What's the name
of the band? Stone Ponies
Transfigured 50 years
Different drum had me believing
I knew Thoreau. Stone Ponies.
I would return from war for the song.
Richard Johnson taught me what
I carried in my body was the blues
when he played The Thrill is Gone
The thrill came back. From as little
as this, I learned how disease
stores itself in the body.



















We'd just moved out west
from North Dakota, I was ten
or eleven. My cousin, three years
older, knew what was going on.






















Blue Suede Shoes, Hound Dog
and the Elvis Christmas Album
with I Believe and Precious Lord.
I still thought Thomas Dorsey
was the trombone player.
I knew that hat the minute I saw it,
Stevie Ray's black leather jacket
with shells. My son brought me
to Stevie Ray Vaughn, connecting
him to Jimi. But I didn't know
about those boots. I don't know
if my son did, either. What skin
do you suppose that is, goat?

I knew songs, but not the music
of George Benson. The photographer
Darwin Evans also made guitars.
Benson showed me how smooth
Jazz could be, how that guitar,
plugged-in, carried family tradition.

When hip-hop hit I wondered
what would happen
and I said, No. At the same time,
I knew about the Dozens

and how they worked. I took
H. Rap Brown into the classroom
and showed the kids how
they broke you down








Stevie Ray Vaughn's boots








and then built you back up.
That all made sense. Bad
language taught me once more
how to turn the world upside down.

Twinkie and Tommy Dorsey.
Precious Lord. Mahalia,
The Bessie Smith Collection
wild as the Mississippi River.

Jim Bodeen
26 Nov--7 December 2017
Museum of Musical Instruments
Scottsdale, AZ




No comments:

Post a Comment