TRAVELS WITH MARTIN LUTHER

HOW MARTIN LUTHER GOT TO NORTH DAKOTA

is beyond me, and not my call.
Ones followed him, calling themselves
Lutheran, and they begat me.
I spent the morning pulling Chinese Lettuce,
a weed whose name I learned only yesterday.
I'm out west now, old, still tagged
with my beginnings, and a Catholic
imagination (as much as one can be had)
(not being there in the cradle)
for having spent much of my life
around Monks, Benedictine, Trappist,
and Chan Buddhist. That's a mouthful
for someone with prairie roots
(wild roses everywhere still hunker against wind)
and I suppose still being here
you might wonder where this is going.
It's going towards the absolutely other,
what can't be discussed in any sense
and puts me out like it or not
with no insurance, flood, fire, tornado
and plain health if such a thing exists.

I guess I've said too much already.

Jim Bodeen
23 May 2017


MEDITATION IN THE PEW

Be known to us, O Lord,
that we may be your risen
body in the world.
            Lutheran Offertory Prayer

Martin Luther did some
name changing himself.

When he went into hiding in 1521,
he was called Junker Jörg. After

posting his 95 Theses, he called himself
Martinus Eleutherius, Martin the Free.

Cloaca, the Latin word for sewer
is how Luther referred to the world.

In his native German, Luther
called the world a piece of shit.

Jim Bodeen
28 May--31 May 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment