NEEDLES IN A TATTOOED TIME

 COLLABORATORS IN SILVER,

Karen, these lines are threads
running through your quilt,
dropped off at the post office,
and delivered in the mail.
These lines track threads
that make the story suitable
for what comes. These threads
bind us in genealogical mystery,
Biblical. Names written
on fabric with needles
in a tattooed time. Your name
in all of the poems.
Silver can be mined.
Devoted love aims at exhaustion.

Love, Jim
10 March 2017

























ON THE IMMORTALITY OF THOMAS A. DORSEY

        --post card to Kevin Miller

These songs, Downward Road, Creep Along Moses,
didn't come to me through car radio,
but the counsel in the North Dakota living room
before television. Not these songs exactly,
Tennessee Ernie Ford and Sons of the Pioneers.
My friend's Mom dies at 97, and I turn to Mavis Staples.
I'm trying to cross the Red Sea myself,
As is my habit, I'm walking the other way.
Still trying to have one more word with Pharaoh.
Precious Lord enters me before memory.
Tommy Dorsey was a trombone player.
I'm halfway through my life before I know.
When I hear who he was, what he lost,
who could I turn to but his song?

Jim Bodeen



EVERY LETTER MAKES A NEW SOUND

an acrobat of ash
            Graham Foust

From the poem in the mag
I've promised myself
slower progress
a re-dedication to all
I have loved so poorly
It's time to see a few movies
take that course
on clowning
this necessary angel
hovering sleeplike

Go meet that friend
for coffee see what he looks like

Jim Bodeen
8 March 2017




















THE GOSPEL SOUND

What returns me to myself,
always some song-like shout,
Hey, Good Lookin. The car
salesman, showing me
how to play the music
finds Van  
and I ask him--
Do you know?
He shakes his head. No.
I like the man, too.
Sitting in car world bawling.
How did Ray find me
55 years ago, I was 15.

Jim Bodeen
10 March 2017


















TOUCHING THE EARTH

On skis, held to the mountain
by  metal edge steel-sharpened,
penetrating here and now
snow, one more than one
full wonder. Cheek-flushed
dry lips, wind-aided,
Sun in and out, silver-yellow.
Cloud-disc
sky-running dizzy.

Jim Bodeen
10 March 2017






No comments:

Post a Comment