MAKE THOSE SHIELDS

UNSETTLED BY THE TIMES

My shield-making friend
calls for good news.
Good news for me
is having the shield-making friend.

Jim Bodeen
23 February 2017


MAKE THOSE SHIELDS

I tell my friend. Keep making
those shields. Just back from
the mountains, skiing with grand
children during President's Week,
I found myself at lunch
playing with my cell phone,
writing in a small notebook,
doodling, when I looked again
at the words in the photo.

Words in the photo? Yes,
One granddaughter had pulled
a toy spider from her backpack
left over from Halloween.
I put the spider
on top of a baggie
filled with gold fish crackers.
The pocket notebook,
smaller than a Post-it page,
had recorded
what I could not see.
After I placed the three images
together on the pine table
flooded with sunlight
I took the picture
with my cell phone.
I discovered
I had been using
my grand children
as shields, human shields,
 to keep me
from seeing
what was happening
to my country.

Jim Bodeen
22 February 2017


DIFFERENT TAKES ON THE BLACK SPIDER

Reaching for the page in the notebook,
unsettled, word of the other
asking for clarification, and holding it,
Karen enters the room with word
of a different departure. The mind,
capable of reversal, delivers a miracle.

Jim Bodeen
23 February 2017




















INQUIRY INTO OBEDIENCE TRAINING
AND INCREASED POETIC OUTPUT

One can't resist the dog
at the Animal Shelter.
Did you send me her name?
Thanks for sending address
for post cards. Now that
Bob Marley has stirred us
again, we've been released
from all sexual tension--
still agitated. This is serial.
We must love more people
than we know as part of our vow.
Can we use this juice
in produce? Draw the line
at say, ten poems a day.
I'm on the mountain
with kids this weekend.
Touching down with what's
real: Black water tank
frozen in the mothership.
This shit, all mine.
Can it heat our home
after the meltdown?

Jim Bodeen
16 Februay 2016


LETTERS AND LETTER THEORY
ATTRACT ME IN-TURN TO YOUR POST CARD

Trying to imagine apiaries
in outdoor museums, say
the High Desert out of Bend,
walk-lined with carded
poems, all yours, pulling
tension tight, what I like.
The Gobi-Rattler Room
a kind of museum, filling
with bird-like sounds
of your soundings, a kind
of depth charge--temperature
of Earth, rising un-song.
But your birds always in tune,
changing flight patterns
falling from the sky,
singing even in their leaving.

Jim Bodeen
15 April 2017






No comments:

Post a Comment