Soup for Jim Harrison

WHAT ABOUT THOSE COACHES COMMITTED TO MAKING
AMERICA GREAT AGAIN? BOBBY KNIGHT, LOU HOLTZ,
DIGGER PHELPS AND MIKE LEACH,
THE ONE WHO THINKS HE’S GERONIMO?

“Few people use more timber than Donald Trump, I can tell you that.”
            --Donald Trump, Spokane, Wa,
               as reported in the Yakima Herald-Republic 8 May 2016

Shiver me timbers, my people sing,
Thank you very much, May God strike me well.
Lather me with your lush voices,
Tom Waits, Bette Midler, and
Adrian Croenhauer, sitting in the jeep.
Croenhauer putting a condom over his nose.
They're behind an APC full of troops.
"It's a Vietnamese word," he says, “Con Dum.”
Good morning, Robin Williams.
The dj has been taken from the air
but the troops want him back.
Captain Ahab, Sam Hamill, Catullus.
Take us home by way of invective.

Jim Bodeen
10 May 2016


SOUP FOR JIM HARRISON

Harrison’s Letters to Yesenin
is one of the first book of poems
I found after the time with Williams.
Another door to what I carried
from childhood. The letters
were comfortable terrain
which gave me,
besides confidence,
a kind of courage
set against doubt and entitlement.
Entitlement is one of the words
kept from someone like me.
Hidden, I didn’t know it was political.
I knew Harrison had something
I needed when he wrote to Yesenin.
My mother gave me
the word “suicide”
going out the back door
with the kitchen knife.
Shaping the journey,
Harrison and Mom.
“This thin soup tastes great.”
My mother gave me
all of North Dakota
letting me take the kitchen knife
from her hands.
At different times
I had to reject what
got handed down.
My entitlement
came to me in this manner,
what looked to be gruel
took its flavor
from the hambone in the pot.

Jim Bodeen
28 March 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment